Laura Williams, Blue Thoughts,

Laura Williams, Blue Thoughts,
2007, 13.75 x 8, Canvas and Acrylic

Saturday, February 13, 2010

My Second Favourite Artist


My second favourite artist I talked about for a little bit in the last post. Her name is Joey Richardson and she's a wood lathe artist. I got to meet her when I went to SOFA last fall. I saw quite a few of her pieces including the one above. She has incredible technical skill and amazing precision as well as the ability to weave the stories of her life experiences in to her work.

When we spoke at the expo she had approached me, my mom, and sister because I was pointing out to them the the delicacy of her work. The negitive spaces are not just places where the wood has been removed, she cuts actual figures in to them (the most common for her seem to be hearts, roses and other flowers, horses, and butterflies). She overheard what I'd been saying and came over to ask about my art because she's noted over time that the only people who really notice the figures are other artists.

The photo at the top of this post is of a piece called Incitatus. If you examine it closely you can see horses, a varity of flowers, and small birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment